Skip to main content

finally getting back to it

Things went by pretty quickly this month, and I was not able to play around with this project much. 

I did tinker with it every now and then, but I was never able to get myself past the residing issue of compiling the RF library in the Raspberry Pi.

It seemed people are generally interested in the project linked in the previous post, as people were actively posting comments on it. 

Couple of days ago a user posted a solution to the compile issues (changes to method names and usage of pre-defined values for parameters), and I thought I should try following it to see if it works. 

The code indeed compiled, and I was able to change it a little more to be more fitting to my project. 

On the Arduino side, it might be a premature assumption, but it seemed like the Arduino was unable to handle messaging through the RF and controlling the servo at the same time. My assumption is that the inability to control them in separate threads is causing some timing issues, but I might be over-analyzing.

The current solution is to use two separate Arduinos--one to handle the message and another to move the servo. The Arduino the receives the message sends a signal to the other Arduino, which moves the servo upon reception of the signal. 

Even with this setup, it did seem like the servo was not functioning properly when the message was received, but I believe it was due to the led light causing some signal disruption, as removing it seemed to have solved the issue.

The Raspberry is now able to send a message to the Arduino, but it is successful only about 80% of the time; the message seems to get lost in the other 20%. I'll have to understand the messaging system a bit more to understand what causes the messages to be unsent. 

Here is the result so far:


I will have to clean up the code and figure out the messaging system before I replace this with the current, wired setup.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GPIO testing

Since the environment of the client-server-target is currently quite functional in the messaging standpoint, I decided to try connecting a simple LED light to the Raspberry Pi to see if it could "open" a door when the command is received. Installed the RPi.GPIO module (a Python module that gives the user command of the GPIO--General-Purpose Input/Output--ports in the Raspberry Pi) and connected the LED light to a GPIO pin. When the target received a request message, it would signal the GPIO pin to drive a current to the LED to light it up for 2 seconds. in main: if __name__ == "__main__":   GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)   GPIO.setup(17, GPIO.OUT) in the on_message's request-received logic:      GPIO.output(17, True)      time.sleep(2)      GPIO.output(17, False) The video is a weak visual result. You can a click when the LED lights up; that was the sound of the key being pressed that sent the request message. Now, tim...

setting up pwm

There's always an obstacle.. I implemented the pwm module as described in the link in the previous post, but oddly enough, it didn't work. The error I received: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'PWM' After some time scratching my head, I came to the realization that somehow my python was running an older version of the RPi.GPIO library, as PWM control was a pretty recent addition to the library.  And indeed it was.  Not really sure what's happening in detail, but it seems that there are two different... entities? that manage libraries for Python. One is through the usual "apt-get" command and the other is "pip." It appears that Python looks at "pip" first, and it currently linked RPi.GPIO to a really old version of the library.  Uninstalling that older version ("pip uninstall RPi.GPIO") and using the version I obtained through apt-get ("apt-get install python-rpi.gpio...

websockets and mobile networks and ssl

Gahhh. Just going to ramble on this one: Websockets is unstable going through cellular networks Searched Google and solution seems to be SSL connections Tried to implement, and it works to some extent,  but realized that I'll have to have both Apache, which was running my web front end, and Tornado both listen to 443 which cannot happen Realize finally that Tornado is a SERVER just like Apache Try to implement web client through Tornado It works but Websocket server and the web client still different instances so still can't have both listen, or that's what I'm thinking but I don't have time to think about it at present. Gotta sleep.