Skip to main content

warming up

I still don't have all the parts I need to do what I need to do, but I started working with what I had around.

I had a 4-digit 7-segment led which I had ordered previously, but for the longest time I had thought I needed additional parts to make it work. It was only today that I realized that that was not the case.

Getting some help from this site, I was able to get the digits fired up:


This method uses way more wires than this guy (which uses a serial communications protocol called I^2C), but it's good to see it work. I still do want to try the less-wire led setup, as I would like to try playing around with I^2C.


In addition, I had recently purchased an Arduino Pro Mini, which contains all the capabilities of the above Arduino Uno but requires pins/connections to be soldered into the board. I had attempted to solder one part of it (the serial/USB connections) a few days ago (note that this was my first attempt ever at soldering), and the USB-to-Serial interface arrived today, making me try it out. Fortunately, it appears my first soldering work is a success.




I purchased a new coil of solder (63% Tin, 37% Lead) as I realized that the solder I'm using (non-lead, 99.3% tin) is not the best kind of solder for electronics. Let's see if the new solder helps me struggle less with soldering.

Anyways, I am hopeful that this will be the main device that will drive this project.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GPIO testing

Since the environment of the client-server-target is currently quite functional in the messaging standpoint, I decided to try connecting a simple LED light to the Raspberry Pi to see if it could "open" a door when the command is received. Installed the RPi.GPIO module (a Python module that gives the user command of the GPIO--General-Purpose Input/Output--ports in the Raspberry Pi) and connected the LED light to a GPIO pin. When the target received a request message, it would signal the GPIO pin to drive a current to the LED to light it up for 2 seconds. in main: if __name__ == "__main__":   GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)   GPIO.setup(17, GPIO.OUT) in the on_message's request-received logic:      GPIO.output(17, True)      time.sleep(2)      GPIO.output(17, False) The video is a weak visual result. You can a click when the LED lights up; that was the sound of the key being pressed that sent the request message. Now, tim...

setting up pwm

There's always an obstacle.. I implemented the pwm module as described in the link in the previous post, but oddly enough, it didn't work. The error I received: AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'PWM' After some time scratching my head, I came to the realization that somehow my python was running an older version of the RPi.GPIO library, as PWM control was a pretty recent addition to the library.  And indeed it was.  Not really sure what's happening in detail, but it seems that there are two different... entities? that manage libraries for Python. One is through the usual "apt-get" command and the other is "pip." It appears that Python looks at "pip" first, and it currently linked RPi.GPIO to a really old version of the library.  Uninstalling that older version ("pip uninstall RPi.GPIO") and using the version I obtained through apt-get ("apt-get install python-rpi.gpio...

websockets and mobile networks and ssl

Gahhh. Just going to ramble on this one: Websockets is unstable going through cellular networks Searched Google and solution seems to be SSL connections Tried to implement, and it works to some extent,  but realized that I'll have to have both Apache, which was running my web front end, and Tornado both listen to 443 which cannot happen Realize finally that Tornado is a SERVER just like Apache Try to implement web client through Tornado It works but Websocket server and the web client still different instances so still can't have both listen, or that's what I'm thinking but I don't have time to think about it at present. Gotta sleep.