Skip to main content

nodejs migration

Having been playing around with NodeJS recently, 
I (naturally?) started re-writing some of the OpenSesame code using Node last night.

I think I've only worked on it around 2 hours so far,
but I've already set up a basic client interface (a socket.io chat tutorial rip) with a server that the Raspberry Pi can connect to and receive requests to open the door. 

This is probably due to socket.io's socket management (socket.io is the WebSocket module for Node); for my first implementation, I had to manually write up a structure that managed sockets, but that is pretty much handled by socket.io.
Also, the servo control logic is pretty much recycled (and the Raspberry Pi code is still Python), and I do remember spending some good time figuring that out. 
Cool neverthelss.

I'll probably keep both versions around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GPIO testing

Since the environment of the client-server-target is currently quite functional in the messaging standpoint, I decided to try connecting a simple LED light to the Raspberry Pi to see if it could "open" a door when the command is received. Installed the RPi.GPIO module (a Python module that gives the user command of the GPIO--General-Purpose Input/Output--ports in the Raspberry Pi) and connected the LED light to a GPIO pin. When the target received a request message, it would signal the GPIO pin to drive a current to the LED to light it up for 2 seconds. in main: if __name__ == "__main__":   GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)   GPIO.setup(17, GPIO.OUT) in the on_message's request-received logic:      GPIO.output(17, True)      time.sleep(2)      GPIO.output(17, False) The video is a weak visual result. You can a click when the LED lights up; that was the sound of the key being pressed that sent the request message. Now, tim...

pwm..

I just realized that the RPi.GPIO library (for programming the Raspberry Pi's input/output) already has PWM control, giving me a much more efficient control of duty cycles... At least the previous exercise ("duty cycle testing") refreshed me on it. PWM control on RPi.GPIO: http://code.google.com/p/raspberry-gpio-python/wiki/PWM

websockets and mobile networks and ssl

Gahhh. Just going to ramble on this one: Websockets is unstable going through cellular networks Searched Google and solution seems to be SSL connections Tried to implement, and it works to some extent,  but realized that I'll have to have both Apache, which was running my web front end, and Tornado both listen to 443 which cannot happen Realize finally that Tornado is a SERVER just like Apache Try to implement web client through Tornado It works but Websocket server and the web client still different instances so still can't have both listen, or that's what I'm thinking but I don't have time to think about it at present. Gotta sleep.