Skip to main content

more for self notes than anything

I moved into a new apartment on August, and so far, it's been great.

One of the things that I noticed when I got the keys to the apartment was that the front-door key was labeled "do not duplicate."


I normally copied a set of keys just in case I lose them, so I checked the internet to see if the "do not duplicate" denoted a physical difficulty or a moral request. The results pointed towards the former. Search results pointed out that these keys required a special "owner card," and locksmiths needed a special copying device for these specific locks. Inconvenient.

Meanwhile, I was humoring the thought of getting my hands on a Raspberry Pi, but I couldn't really think of a reason to justify the purchase.

Well, the two thoughts crossed ways, and the conclusion of "I should program something to open my front door" was made.

How?

There's an intercom system in the apartment, and I supposed that having something press the door open button would be something.

And the click on the check out button was made.

That was about 2 weeks ago.The Raspberry Pi is now here, and I have already started messing around with it. 

After working on it a bit, doing research on implementation and "learning" Python whenever it is needed, I thought that recording my progress would be a good and organized way to look back on it.

This is that record, and I'll try to write as much information as I can.

Couple of posts would be a recap of my progress to date, and future posts will be more of an update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

websockets and mobile networks and ssl

Gahhh. Just going to ramble on this one: Websockets is unstable going through cellular networks Searched Google and solution seems to be SSL connections Tried to implement, and it works to some extent,  but realized that I'll have to have both Apache, which was running my web front end, and Tornado both listen to 443 which cannot happen Realize finally that Tornado is a SERVER just like Apache Try to implement web client through Tornado It works but Websocket server and the web client still different instances so still can't have both listen, or that's what I'm thinking but I don't have time to think about it at present. Gotta sleep.

GPIO testing

Since the environment of the client-server-target is currently quite functional in the messaging standpoint, I decided to try connecting a simple LED light to the Raspberry Pi to see if it could "open" a door when the command is received. Installed the RPi.GPIO module (a Python module that gives the user command of the GPIO--General-Purpose Input/Output--ports in the Raspberry Pi) and connected the LED light to a GPIO pin. When the target received a request message, it would signal the GPIO pin to drive a current to the LED to light it up for 2 seconds. in main: if __name__ == "__main__":   GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)   GPIO.setup(17, GPIO.OUT) in the on_message's request-received logic:      GPIO.output(17, True)      time.sleep(2)      GPIO.output(17, False) The video is a weak visual result. You can a click when the LED lights up; that was the sound of the key being pressed that sent the request message. Now, tim...

pwm..

I just realized that the RPi.GPIO library (for programming the Raspberry Pi's input/output) already has PWM control, giving me a much more efficient control of duty cycles... At least the previous exercise ("duty cycle testing") refreshed me on it. PWM control on RPi.GPIO: http://code.google.com/p/raspberry-gpio-python/wiki/PWM